On human rights day, thousands of youth across the country led by Anakbayan joined protest actions slamming President Rodrigo Duterte as the “number 1 terrorist” and leading human rights violator in the country for his triple wars against the Filipino people.

Dubbed by Anakbayan as #DuterTerorista, the president was roundly condemned for the brutal “war on drugs”, the “all-out war” on the revolutionary CPP-NPA-NDF, and anti-terror war against the Bangsamoro people that left Marawi City in ruins.

“Duterte labels revolutionaries terrorists but it is Duterte himself who sows terror with his extrajudicial killings, illegal arrests, harassment of legal activists and mass murder of 13,000 drug suspects in his bloody drug war,” said Anakbayan National Chairperson Vencer Crisostomo.

A #DuterTerorista Tracker infographic produced by Anakbayan (https://www.facebook.com/anakbayanphils/posts/1963806003634820) shows the perpetration of extrajudicial killings, illegal arrest, harassment, flood blockades, and other human rights violation by military and police forces.

The group monitored intensified rights violations since Duterte bared his plan of a crackdown on progressive legal organizations, terminated the peace talks with the NDFP and declared the CPP-NPA terrorist last month.

Youth and student leaders have also been a target of a series of intimidation and harassment, including Anakbayan De La Salle leader harassed by Caloocan police officers last October 1, League of Filipino Students (LFS) Northern Midnanao Chairperson harassed by unidentified men in Iligan City on November 21, and LFS-UST SHS member and Anakbayan UP-Diliman chairperson receiving anonymous death threats, and other student leaders from UP Diliman, UP Manila, and Polytechnic University of the Philippines.

Anakbayan condemned Duterte’s terrorist designation against the communist revolutionary movement, saying the real target of the declaration are legal mass organizations that Duterte and his military subalterns can conveniently accuse of “financing and aiding” the CPP and NPA to stifle dissent.

“Duterte is the country’s number 1 terrorist and leading human rights violator. The Duterte regime is a fascist killing machine violating people’s rights while instilling fear on the rest of the populace to justify state violence and repression,” said Crisostomo.

Crisostomo said Duterte’s so-called terrorist listing is another mark of unabashed puppetry to the US, exhibiting subservience to US security doctrine and the “global war on terror” in exchange for US military aid and opening the country to more US military intervention.

“Backed by US imperialism, local oligarchs, and big Chinese capital, Duterte now represses people’s struggles to ram anti-people projects and neoliberal economic policies down the Filipino people’s throats,” he said.

He said the Filipino youth and people are ready to oppose Duterte’s fascist attacks against the people’s rights and stop Duterte’s plunging the entire country towards open fascist and dictatorial rule.

Apart from the big rally at the Bonifacio Shrine in Manila City, Human Rights day protests were also held today; Candon City, Ilocos Sur; Alicia, Isabela; Igorot Park, Baguio City; Plaza Rizal, Naga City; Iloilo Provincial Capitol; Cebu Provincial Capitol; Pelaz Sports Complex, Cagayan de Oro City; AFP Esatern Mindanao Command HQ in Davao City; Heneral Santos Plaza, General Santos City; Provincial Capitol of South Cotabato, Koronadal City; Tacurong City, Sultan Kudarat; and Tandag City, Surigao del Sur.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *